Benefits of Health Information Technology
The following information is from the US Department of Health and Human Services Office of the National Coordinator for Health Information Technology website.
Why Health IT?
Health information technology (health IT) makes it possible for health care providers to better manage patient care through secure use and sharing of health information. Health IT includes the use of electronic health records (EHRs) instead of paper medical records to maintain people's health information.
Improving Patient Care
With the help of health IT, health care providers will have:
- Accurate and complete information about a patient's health. That way they can give the best possible care, whether during a routine visit or a medical emergency.
- The ability to better coordinate the care they give. This is especially important if a patient has a serious medical condition.
- A way to securely share information with patients and their family caregivers over the Internet, for patients who opt for this convenience. This means patients and their families can more fully take part in decisions about their health care.
- Information to help doctors diagnose health problems sooner, reduce medical errors, and provide safer care at lower costs.
Improving Our Nation's Health Care System
Widespread use of health IT can also:
- Make our health care system more efficient and reduce paperwork for patients and doctors.
- Expand access to affordable care.
- Build a healthier future for our nation.